Visually stunning, this simple recipe for Strawberry Avocado Salad is also delicious. Tossed together in a matter of minutes, this could stand in as a dip served with cookies or crackers, served as a side salad or just eat it as a healthy snack. Start with sweet, deep colored strawberries and a ripe avocado. I wanted a nice crunch so I tossed in some diced jicama, but you could replace that with a tart apple like a Granny Smith. Finish it off with some lime juice, maple syrup and a dash of salt.
Serve Strawberry Avocado Salad the same day, but let the ingredients mingle in the refrigerator for an hour or so before serving. After I made this last night, my husband and I had a couple of tastes for critiquing and then my 11 year-old finished the rest. That’s as good a review as any verbal approval I could ask for.
- 1 cup diced sweet strawberries
- 1 medium ripe but firm avocado, diced
- ½ cup jicama, peeled and finely diced (replace with a tart apple, if desired)
- Juice from 2 or 3 limes, about 4 Tablespoons
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
- In a medium bowl, gently toss strawberries, avocado and jicama. Juice lime over mixture, add maple syrup or honey.
- Taste for desired flavor and add more lime juice and/or syrup to taste.
- Refrigerate for one hour. Serve with shortbread cookies, chips or crackers or a a side salad or snack.
- Makes 2½ to 3 cups.