Tex Mex Sweet Potato Salad is every bit as delicious as it is beautiful and if you need a unique option for salad at the next get together, this just might be the one. All the flavor and textures are over the top! Fresh green lettuce, juicy tomatoes and black olives, the red cabbage is a must! I worried that the cabbage would add too much of a coleslaw vibe, but I was wrong and think you’ll love it in this salad. Then you get red onions AND scallions, both members of the onion family though distinctly different in texture and flavor. Sweet red peppers add a delicious crunch. Yellow corn is not only good for added color, but if you can use leftover roasted corn, then all the better. Creamy avocados, black beans and oven roasted sweet potatoes add the substance, therefore this salad makes a great meatless main dish.
Toss everything together and you have your rainbow of vegetables all in one healthy bowl. I list specific ingredient amounts in the printable recipe but add more or less of the ingredients that you love. Perfect to take on a summer picnic or barbecue, I think this goes well with any type of chicken or even salmon. If you’re cooking on the grill, try Juicy Chili Burgers with Avocado Aoli as a perfect pairing – or use it as the base for barbecued chicken or oven-roasted chicken breasts.
Top the salad with your favorite salad dressing. I use a combination of this roasted tomato vinaigrette and homemade ranch dressing and a few crispy onions or crushed tortilla chips for garnish. This quickly became a favorite in my family. Perfect summer salad but excellent all year long.
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Green lettuce, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ½ sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned-rinsed and drained)
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- ½ cup black olives, sliced
- 1 lime for squeezing on the salad
- Crispy onions or crushed tortilla chips, for garnish
- Salad dressing of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the chopped sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place sheet in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Using a spatula, toss the sweet potatoes. Roast for an additional 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are just tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Place all salad ingredients into a large salad bowl, saving crispy onions and/or tortilla chips for the garnish on top.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the salad.
- Serve with choice of salad dressing. This salad keeps well for 3 days in the refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and their Pod.