Baked black bean burgers with quinoa and peppers, a healthy vegetarian burger that will please even the most loyal beef burger lover.
I love a good burger! How do you beat a good flavorful, juicy burger? You don’t, and these black bean quinoa burgers made with healthy peppers are full of great flavor, and they’re deliciously moist. I have been hard at it trying to find a good vegetarian baked black bean burger that my husband and 10-year-old son will give the “good dinner Mom” thumbs up. Finally, these have done it! Adapted from a recipe given to me by my friend, Emily. I hope you like them as much as we do! See? Colorful, heart healthy ingredients…
Of course, the condiments are almost as important for a perfect burger. I used a super good rye bread, toasted, with homemade southwest mayo. (Which is 1 tablespoon of Cajun Spice Mix and 1 cup good quality mayonnaise or veganaise.) Carmelized onions only add to the intense flavors.
Feed this to your die-hard beef-burger lovers.
Baked Black Bean Burgers with Quinoa
- 1- 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup quinoa, will be ¾ cup after cooked
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup roasted red bell peppers, diced (may use raw peppers)
- ½ jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons onion, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 good dash red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 large egg, For vegan burgers, substitute ½ cup oatmeal, cooked rice or mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie or baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring ¼ cup quinoa and ½ cup water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
- Roughly mash 15 ounces black beans with a fork leaving some whole black beans. You should have a paste-like mixture now.
- Add cooked quinoa (¾ cup), ½ cup bread crumbs, ¼ cup peppers, 2 Tablespoons onion, 1 clove garlic, 1½ teaspoons cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, and 1 egg into the black beans. Mix well, using your hands.
- Form 5 patties and place on parchment lined baking pan.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Enjoy with your favorite burger condiments!