I love a good burger! How do you beat a good flavorful, juicy burger? You don’t, and these black bean quinoa burgers made with healthy peppers are full of great flavor, and they’re deliciously moist. I have been hard at it trying to find a good vegetarian baked black bean burger that my husband and 10-year-old son will give the “good dinner Mom” thumbs up. Finally, these have done it! Adapted from a recipe given to me by my friend, Emily. I hope you like them as much as we do! See? Colorful, heart healthy ingredients…
Of course, the condiments are almost as important for a perfect burger. I used a super good rye bread, toasted, with homemade southwest mayo. (Which is 1 tablespoon of Cajun Spice Mix and 1 cup good quality mayonnaise or veganaise.) Carmelized onions only add to the intense flavors.
Feed this to your die-hard beef-burger lovers.
Baked Black Bean Burgers with Quinoa
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers diced (may use raw peppers)
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper minced
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons onion minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 good dash red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or to taste
- 1 large egg For vegan burgers, substitute 1/2 cup oatmeal, cooked rice or mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie or baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
- Roughly mash the black beans with a fork leaving some whole black beans. You should have a paste-like mixture now.
- Add the cooked quinoa (3/4 cup), bread crumbs, peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, hot pepper sauce, and egg into the black beans. Mix well, using your hands.
- Form 5 patties and place on parchment lined baking pan.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Enjoy with your favorite burger condiments!