This soup will remind you of your favorite lasagna casserole in much less the time and very little effort! If you want a vegetarian option, see cook's note at bottom of instructions. This soup is best eaten immediately, but can be reheated up to one day after making.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 medium green sweet pepper chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 to 1 pound uncooked bulk turkey Italian sausage or lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning crushed
- 1 14.5- oz. can diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 8- oz. cans tomato sauce
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6-8 lasagna noodles whole wheat is delicious, broken into bite-size pieces
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil snipped
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Heat oil to medium in a large pot. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic. Cook until onions and pepper soften, stirring occasionally. Add sausage or ground beef and cook until meat is just browned on outside, breaking meat up into bite-size bits as it cooks.
Add crushed Italian seasoning (crushing it releases more flavor), and stir until fragrant. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Bring to simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes.
In a second pot, cook broken up lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain. Stir into soup.
To serve, spoon a dollop of ricotta cheese into six bowls and pour in soup. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese, basil leaves and crushed red pepper flakes, to taste.
Cook's note: This soup is easily converted to a vegetarian option; replace the meat with sliced fresh mushrooms, change out chicken broth with vegetable broth.