Ultimate Greek 7-Layer Dip
This mediterranean version of classic 7-layer dip is fresh and different. Plan ahead because this recipe should be refrigerated at least 4 hours before serving so all the flavors can love on each other.
Prep Time4 hrs 15 mins
Total Time4 hrs 15 mins
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or 8-oz. package or cream cheese, softened
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella or cheddar, optional
- 1 8- oz. tub of your favorite hummus, good quality
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced (Romas helps prevent soggy, wet dip)
- 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata or other favorite olives
- 4 green onions, chopped using white and green parts
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, parsley or mint (we LOVE basil, but a combination of all 3 is also delicious)
In a medium bowl, combine softened cream cheese (or yogurt), garlic, lemon juice and oregano. Stir until completely mixed. If using the grated cheese, mix into this layer as well. Spread into bottom of a pie plate or shallow baking dish of approximate size.
Spread the hummus next. Use all of hummus in tub or less to your liking.
In order, create layers of the cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, onion, Feta and basil or parsley.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
Serve with any combination of the following: Pita chips, fresh vegetables, cut flour tortillas, flatbread or naan.