Tortellini Primavera Salad
This Tortellini salad blends a bright creamy sauce with fresh and colorful vegetables. Delicious as a side, meatless main dish or add cooked chicken breast.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 8 ounce package refrigerated tortellini
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup fresh baby peas or thawed from frozen
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeno pepper optional
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain well.
Steam broccoli florets and sliced carrots just until tender-crisp. Cool under running water.
Combine tortellini, broccoli, carrots, green onions, bell peppers and jalapeno in a medium bowl. Place in refrigerator while making the dressing.
In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, orange peel, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Add about 1/2 of the dressing to the salad ingredients and then taste. Add more as desired (3/4 cup seems perfect for us. If adding chicken, use all the dressing).
Cook's Note: You can serve the salad immediately if you must, however, the flavors are bolder if allowed to incorporate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving.
Spoon individual portions of salad on plate and top each portion with shredded mozzarella, or add all the mozzarella into large bowl of the salad, toss and serve family style.