This is THE meal to impress! The complex seasonings in this dish bring a flavor to the table your guests will crave again and again. Very simple to make, too.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time1 hr 30 mins
Total Time1 hr 35 mins
Servings: 8 people
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 14.5 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, to taste (parsley may be substituted)
- 4 cups cooked Basmati rice
In a heavy-bottomed stock pot, sauté onion in the butter until soft. Add garlic, chicken, salt, pepper, cayenne, coriander, cumin, cardamon and lime juice. Cook about 10 minutes.
Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Heat to boiling, then lower heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove lid, increase heat just to maintain a good simmer and cook for additional 40 minutes to one hour to allow sauce to cook down further. You don't want it soupy. Add the whipping cream (I have successfully used light cream or half-and-half also) and cilantro just before serving over Basmati rice.
Note: Adjust the cayenne pepper to your taste. I usually add 1/4 teaspoon and it is perfect for all tastes, kids and grown ups.
Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 639mg | Potassium: 373mg | Vitamin A: 380IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 0.7mg