Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup
This is a delicious Thai-inspired chicken soup that simmers together in your slow cooker. Exotic flavors created by ingredients found easily in your local grocery store.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time4 hrs 30 mins
Total Time4 hrs 40 mins
Servings: 6 to 8
- 2 onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 14-ounce cans coconut milk, divided (Do not put both in at beginning of recipe. See instructions)
- Zest of one lemon
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, divided
- 10 cilantro stems, tied together with twine
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice from 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste. Thai Kitchen brand is taste tested best
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 fresh jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced thin
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- Lime wedges for serving
Microwave onions, garlic, ginger, and oil in bowl, stirring occasionally; until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
Stir broth, 1 can coconut milk, grated lemon, carrots, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, and cilantro stems into slow cooker. Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 6 hours on low.
Transfer chicken to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-sized pieces using two forks to pull the chicken apart. Discard cilantro stems. Do not return chicken to soup just yet.
Stir in mushrooms, cover, and cook on high for 15 minutes. Microwave remaining can of coconut milt in bowl until hot, about 3 minutes, then whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and curry paste to dissolve.
Stir hot coconut milk mixture and shredded chicken into soup and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with garnishes.
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 913mg | Potassium: 898mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 5745IU | Vitamin C: 9.7mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1.4mg