Spring Vegetable Soup
Serve cold, room temperature, or warm, this soup is delicious all ways. If you want to make it a bit more substantial, add some chunks of ham or bacon. Or for a vegan option, substitute the Greek yogurt with cashew milk.
Servings: 8 cups
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups tightly packed baby spinach about 4 ounces
- 2 cups 10 ounces frozen green peas, thawed plus extra for tossing in the soup
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt creme fraiche, or cashew milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh spearmint
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat, add the leekds and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and saute for 3 to 4 minutes until just tender and wilted. Add the broth, and bring to a slow boil. Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach and peas.
Carefully transfer the hot soup to a blender. Add the yogurt, parsley, spearmint, remaining salt, and lemon juice. Blend on high speed until the soup is very smooth.
To serve, garnish each bowl with chopped chives, and extra peas (optional). Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.