BBQ Cauliflower Tacos with Chickpeas and Quinoa
Super bbq Tex Mex flavor in the tacos, this is a great way to use up leftover quinoa though you can skip it if you don't have any. The seasoned cauliflower and chickpeas also make great topping in salads.
Lime Slaw Dressing
- 1 14 ounce bag of cole slaw mix or 6 - 7 cups of thinly chopped cabbage and carrots
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon water
- Juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 14 0z. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, optional
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 1 sliced jalapeno for garnish
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Fresh corn tortillas, about 12
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Make the fresh cole slaw: In a medium sized bowl add all of the slaw dressing ingredients and stir until completely combined. In a large bowl, add the cabbage mixture and pour dressing over. Mix and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
In a small bowl, add all of the BBQ rub ingredients and mix together.
Separate all of the cauliflower florets and chop them into bite size pieces. Place florets and chickpeas into a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with BBQ rub. Depending on the size of your head of cauliflower you may not need to use all the rub. Toss everything together with your hands so that cauliflower and chickpeas are coated with the rub. Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, stirring once 1/2 way through baking. After removing from the oven, stir the cooked quinoa into the cauliflower/chickpea mixture.
If desired, warm up corn tortillas on the stove or in the oven. Add about 1/4 cup of cauliflower and chickpeas to each taco and top with a few tablespoons of cole slaw. Top with sliced jalapenos and cilantro.
- The quinoa is optional in this recipe and the tacos are perfect without it. If you have leftover quinoa however, this is a great recipe for it.
- The cauliflower and chickpeas can be baked up to a day in advance and reheated before serving.
- We like to fry our corn tortillas in about an inch of neutral oil heated to medium-high, about 15 seconds on each side. Remove to 3 layers of paper towels and blot extra oil with another paper towel. You can also sprinkle the tortillas with seasoning salt of your choice after blotting. Fold the tortillas in half and set aside until serving.
Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 695mg | Potassium: 769mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 640IU | Vitamin C: 108mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 3mg