Serve this fluffy Salmon Pate' on hearty crackers, cooked artichoke leaves or lettuce or celery. Refrigerate for an hour before serving. Quick and easy but beautiful and full of flavor, this is a great way to use canned wild salmon.
Servings: 1 1/2 cups
- 1 7.5 oz. can of wild red salmon
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion or scallion
- Lemon zest from one lemon
- Juice of one lemon, freshly squeezed
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, more or less- try a healthy olive or avocado oil mayo
- Kosher salt, to taste (be careful, canned salmon is already pretty salty)
- Black pepper, fresh ground to taste
- Fresh or dried dill
- Red pepper flakes
- Capers, drained and rinsed
- To serve: Saltine or favorite hearty crackers, baguette, cooked artichoke, or radicchio leaves
- 1 lemon, cut and sliced into tiny wedges for garnish
Drain the salmon and look it over carefully, picking out the bigger bones and skin (any small pieces of bone will be broken up and are good for you!).
In a medium bowl, using a fork crumble the salmon until all chunks are eliminated. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, melted butter, mayonnaise and a pinch of salt, plus black pepper to taste. Add more lemon juice or mayonnaise, if desired.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill for one hour, or up to overnight, before serving. If serving on artichoke leaves, boil or steam the artichoke while the pate' is in the fridge. The cooked artichoke can also be refrigerated for a day before assembly.
To serve, place bite-size dollops on crackers, artichoke or lettuce. Using all three makes a nice presentation and gives options for individual tastes.
Finish off the salmon pate" with some snippets of fresh dill (or dried), one little wedge of lemon and then add a twist of freshly ground black pepper or red pepper flakes. Sprinkle with a few capers, if desired.
Calories: 1039kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 113g | Saturated Fat: 62g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 16g | Monounsaturated Fat: 29g | Trans Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 257mg | Sodium: 915mg | Potassium: 202mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2939IU | Vitamin C: 58mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1mg