Perfect for pot luck or for any crowd, this salad makes a beautiful presentation and can be made and refrigerated for up to 8 hours ahead of time. The ingredients can easily be changed up to your liking.
For the salad
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce or other favorite greens
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups sliced or chopped celery
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 6 scallions, diced plus more for topping
- 1 cup frozen peas, quick thawed under warm water
For the dressing
- 2 cups mayonnaise or 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup Greek yogurt. Vegannaise is easily substituted as well
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley minced, optional
- 2 tbsps fresh lemon juice
- 1 scant tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or other cheese of your choice
- Extra scallions
Additional optional toppings:
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- Crispy onions
- Croutons or walnuts
Assemble the salad:
In a deep sided glass salad or trifle bowl, layer all the vegetables in the order listed above. The quantities are approximate and you can adjust as you like. The lettuce comes up almost a third of the way before layering the other ingredients.
Make the dressing:
Mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and spread over the salad. Sprinkle with cheese and additional scallions for garnish.
If making the salad ahead of time, cover with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 8 hours.
Just before serving, toss the salad and serve with additional condiments, if desired.
- The salad ingredients are plentiful so it's a good idea to serve extra dressing on the side for those who want more.
- Use the recipe for the dressing here or serve with your own instead.
Calories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 127mg | Potassium: 499mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2370IU | Vitamin C: 98mg | Calcium: 154mg | Iron: 2mg