Perfect for pot luck or for any crowd, this salad makes a beautiful presentation and can be made and refrigerated for up to 8 hours ahead of time. The ingredients can easily be changed up to your liking.
For the salad
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce or other favorite greens
- ½ small head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 ½ cups sliced or chopped celery
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced thin
- 6 scallions, diced plus more for topping
- 1 cup frozen peas, quick thawed under warm water
For the dressing
- 2 cups mayonnaise or 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup Greek yogurt. Vegannaise is easily substituted as well
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley minced, optional
- 2 tbsps fresh lemon juice
- 1 scant tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or other cheese of your choice
- Extra scallions
Additional optional toppings:
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- Crispy onions
- Croutons or walnuts
Make the dressing:
Mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and spread over the salad. Sprinkle with cheese and additional scallions for garnish.
If making the salad ahead of time, cover with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 8 hours.
Just before serving, toss the salad and serve with additional condiments, if desired.
- The salad ingredients are plentiful so it's a good idea to serve extra dressing on the side for those who want more.
- Use the recipe for the dressing here or serve with your own instead.
Calories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 127mg | Potassium: 499mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2370IU | Vitamin C: 98mg | Calcium: 154mg | Iron: 2mg