My Best Baked Beans
The ingredients in my best baked bean recipe are simple and you already have most of them on hand. Great slow-baked flavor through and through. Use your own combination of beans, if you like. You can also add more or less bacon depending on your preference.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (Not thick bacon, trust me)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 8- oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 2 teaspoons Dijon or yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, Frank's Wing Style is great, not too hot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 28- oz. can pinto beans, drained
- 1 15- oz. can red beans, drained
- 1 15- oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Cook's note: Dry beans are even tastier than canned and prettier but require advanced prep. If you prefer using dried beans, soak your beans the night before. I would use 50% pinto beans, 25% each of red and black beans. Soak enough beans to end up with 5-6 cups of beans.
Heat oven to 350F degrees and place oven rack one place above the middle position.
Heat a large skillet to medium and add chopped bacon. Cook for about 3 minutes.
Add onion and stir together with bacon. Continue to cook on medium heat until bacon is well crisped, but not burnt, stirring occasionally. If necessary, lower heat to medium-low.
Once bacon is cooked and onions are starting to caramelize, add brown sugar, tomato sauce, Worcestershire, horseradish, mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Stir until brown sugar is well dissolved into other ingredients, about 3 minutes.
In a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish, add drained beans (rinse the black beans since they are harder to drain). Stir bacon/onion mixture into the beans.
Bake 25 minutes. Lower heat to 325F degrees and cook at least another 20 minutes, or up to 35 minutes until you're ready to serve.
- If you want your bacon crispy rather than tender, cook it separate from the onions and then add to the beans before baking.
Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 1520mg | Potassium: 1037mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 191IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 5mg