Tex Mex Sweet Potato Salad
All the colors of the rainbow go into this healthy and hearty salad. A great main dish salad or add chicken or salmon.
Servings: 5 -6
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Green lettuce, chopped
- 1 15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ½ sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup corn, fresh, frozen, or canned-rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- ½ cup black olives, sliced
- 1 lime for squeezing on the salad
- Crispy onions or crushed tortilla chips, for garnish
- Pickled red onions, for garnish
- Salad dressing of your choice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the chopped sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss. Season with the cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper, to taste. Place sheet in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Using a spatula, toss the sweet potatoes. Roast for an additional 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are just tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
Place all salad ingredients into a large salad bowl, saving crispy onions and/or tortilla chips for the garnish on top.
Squeeze fresh lime juice over the salad.
Serve with choice of salad dressing. This salad keeps well for 3 days in the refrigerator
Calories: 242kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 275mg | Potassium: 763mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 13933IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2mg