Sausage, Beans and Kale Soup
Sausage, Beans and Kale Soup will become a family favorite, I promise. Perfect for family night or to take to a neighbor, because this is comfort food that heals and just plain makes you happy. Complex flavors and textures that come together with little effort.
Servings: 4 -5
- 2 Tablespoons light oil- like olive, peanut or safflower
- 1 pound Italian sausage of choice - I like to mix sweet and hot. I have used chicken and pork with equal success
- 1 medium onion, rough chopped
- 2 large carrots, rough chopped
- 1 large potato, sliced thin (peeled or leave peels on)
- 1 or 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped (juice should be squeezed out)
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cans drained white beans, divided (cannellini, baby limas, or white kidney)
- 4 cups fresh kale, chopped
- 2 quarts 8 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shaved Parmesan cheese enough to top each bowl to liking
Have all your vegetables chopped and ready to go. In a stock pot heated to medium heat, add the oil and sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned on the outside.
Add onion, carrot, potato, tomato, garlic and bay leaf.
Add 2 cans of the white beans and stir. Before adding the third can of beans, mash the beans with a fork into what will look like a rough paste. Now, add these mashed beans into the pot. This is step will help thicken the soup.
Add the chicken broth and stir until all the mashed beans have "dissolved" into the broth.
Raise the heat to medium-high and just let start to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and let cook for as little as 20 minutes but this soup just gets better the longer it simmers. If you have time to cook this longer, cover with a lid so the broth does not simmer down and cook for 45 minutes to one hour. I have let this simmer for almost 2 hours before with perfect results.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Now add the kale and let soup continue to simmer for 15-25 minutes, just depending on the time you have. Note: Add the amount of kale to your liking. Start with 2 cups and add more as seems right for your taste.
Serve the soup with shaved Parmesan cheese and a nice dense loaf of bread.
Leftovers refrigerate well up to 2 days.
Calories: 625kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 47g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 86mg | Sodium: 1034mg | Potassium: 1368mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 12048IU | Vitamin C: 84mg | Calcium: 238mg | Iron: 4mg