This recipe calls for peaches in the Kuchen, but feel free to use blueberries, pears or plums. Frozen peaches may also be used, defrost peaches before using.
Servings: 8 people
For the cake
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
For the topping
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups peaches, peeled and sliced thin
Assemble the cake
Grease a 9x13-inch pan. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. In a large bowl cream together 1/2 cup butter and the 1/2 cup sugar. Blend in the egg, almond extract, and sour cream. Mix in 1 1/2 cups of flour and the baking powder. Spread the dough in the prepared pan.
Mix together the topping
In a small bowl mix the 1/4 cup softened butter, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of flour, the cloves, and cinnamon.
Sprinkle half of the topping over the cake dough, place the peach slices over the entire surface, and sprinkle the remaining topping to cover the Kuchen.
Bake on the center rack in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Check the cake with a toothpick at 30 minutes and if it comes out with cake "crumbles" on it, it is done. You don't want a completely clean toothpick because you want the cake to come out kind of wet to get the custard texture throughout the middle of the Kuchen.
The Kuchen can be served right out of the oven, but if you let it sit for two to three hours before serving, the clove flavor becomes more mild and all the flavors are melded nicely. Leftovers should be refrigerated in an air-tight container.
- As mentioned in the pre-recipe notes, you may substitute the peaches for plums, pears, or blueberries. Also frozen peaches work great, but defrost the peaches first so they cook enough to break down and soften.
- When served right out of the oven, the Kuchen is tasty when warm though all my tasters preferred it after anywhere from three to six hours later. When served within the first hour or so, the cloves are a little overpowering, but the flavor becomes perfect over time. If you want to serve the Kuchen immediately, I would reduce the cloves to 1/8 teaspoon but would not leave them out.
Calories: 467kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 237mg | Potassium: 121mg | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 920IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 1.5mg