Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
I highly recommend cooking this recipe on low to allow the time necessary to make this meat be fall-apart-tender. Cook for at least 8 hours, and up to 10 hours depending on the size of your roast. This is a good one to cook overnight. Serve with your favorite barbecue sauce on buns or with the reserved vinegar sauce atop garlic mashed potatoes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time8 hrs
Total Time8 hrs 5 mins
Servings: 10 -12
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika, regular or smoked
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pork butt or shoulder roast, 4 to 6 pounds (boneless or bone-in)
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Accompaniment options: Hamburger buns, favorite bbq sauce, cole slaw, garlic mashed potatoes
- Cook's Note: If your roast is on the larger size, feel free to double the rub ingredients (brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper)
Place onions in slow cooker. Combine brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Place roast over onions.
Combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic salt, and cayenne. Stir to mix well.
Drizzle about 1/3 of the vinegar mixture carefuly over the roast, ensuring the rub stays intact on the meat. Cover and refrigerate the remaining vinegar mixture.
Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low 8 to 10 hours (I have tried cooking this recipe on high in the past and the meat never comes out as tender as when cooked on low, but if you must cook it on high, cook it for 6 hours)
Drizzle another 1/3 of reserved vinegar mixture over roast during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Remove meat and onions from slow cooker. Shred meat. If desired, add some of your favorite barbecue sauce to the shredded meat with extra to pour over top. Serve pork with onions on buns, passing around remaining vinegar mixture to drizzle over sandwiches. Another serving method (our favorite) is to serve as a main dish with garlic mashed potatoes on the side, drizzled with the vinegar mixture.