Roasted Root Vegetables with Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
Cook the sweet potatoes for a minute or two in the microwave before adding to the other vegetables for roasting to ensure even tenderness of all vegetables.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 medium sweet potato, not yam, peeled and chopped into 1" chunks
- 2 large beets, red or golden or one of each, peeled and chopped into 1" chunks
- 2 cups 1 pound small brussels sprouts, rinsed, stems removed and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons olive, coconut or avocado oil plus extra for drizzling
- 4 slices bacon, try uncured if you can get it, cooked to desired crispness
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- Cook's note: Optionally, you could substitute the bacon for 1/2 cup of diced, cooked pancetta.</span>
<span></span>Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Place oven rack one place above the middle.
In a large bowl, toss the sweet potato, beets, and brussels sprouts in the oil. Spread vegetables on rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast until tender and brown on edges, about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring one time about half way through cooking. The outer or loose leaves from the sprouts might get very crispy. This is okay.
Remove from oven and transfer to serving bowl. Crumble or roughly chop bacon and sprinkle over the vegetables.
Drizzle with just a little balsamic vinegar (or even hot sauce) before serving. Add a light splash of extra olive oil too, if desired.