Cauliflower Tartine with Hummus and Almonds
Use homemade hummus (recipe included below) or a favorite, good quality, store-bought variety. The almonds make this tartine, in my opinion, so I highly recommend using them. Quality ingredients are key for this recipe, so get the best olive oil, hummus and bread you can afford.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
- For the hummus if wanting homemade:
- 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas drained (reserve the liquid!)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt more to taste
- For the curried cauliflower:
- 1/2 cauliflower washed, dried and broken into very small florets
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 sprig thyme leaves only (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- For the almonds:
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- Optional- toast the almonds in some olive oil and turmeric for extra flavor
- Bread and additional toppings:
- 8 slices thinly sliced sourdough bread about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 scallion chopped or sliced thin
- Extra olive oil to drizzle or if you toasted the almonds in the olive oil/turmeric mixture save the excess for drizzling
- Crushed red pepper flakes optional
If making your own hummus, place all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth. If necessary, use some of the reserved chickpea liquid to thin the mixture to a smooth puree. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 425F degrees. In a bowl, toss the cauliflower with the spices, thyme leaves and olive oil, mixing well.
Transfer to an oven-proof dish or baking sheet and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until lightly brown on one side. Be careful to not cook the cauliflower until it's too soft. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly while spreading hummus over thinly sliced bread.
To serve, spread the hummus on the bread and top with the curried cauliflower and almonds. Sprinkle the scallion on top and drizzle with the olive oil.
Add extra red pepper flakes and fresh ground pepper, if desired.