Spicy Sriracha Shrimp Lo Mein
Use fresh shrimp in the recipe for ultimate success. For even more flavor, add bean sprouts and Napa cabbage at the same time you cook the zucchini. If adding extra ingredients, double the sauce. Important note: If you are doubling the sauce, do NOT double the Sriracha. A little goes a very long way here. For those who want it really spicy, they can add more hot sauce after plating.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1 8 oz. package Lo Mein noodles
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound , peeled and deveined, if desired
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half vertically, then cut into half moon shapes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons Sriracha hot sauce, depending on desired heat
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Handful cilantro, for garnish
- 3 green onions, chopped, for garnish
- Lime wedges for squeezing over pasta at table
- Cook's note: Ingredient variables add whatever you like. One favorite combo is to omit the egg and zucchini and replace them with mushrooms, napa cabbage and bean sprouts.
Begin a large pot of salted water to boil. Once the water reaches a full boil, add the noodles and cook according to the package directions (about 4-5 minutes).
While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the spicy sriracha sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, Sriracha, ginger, and sesame oil.
In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat. Add the crushed red pepper to the butter, and once it's completely melted whisk in the eggs. Stir gently and cook for about 3 minutes. Once the egg is done cooking, transfer eggs to a small plate; set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and increase the heat to medium-high. Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or just until firm and bright pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a clean plate; set aside.
Add zucchini to the pan, increase heat to high, and remaining oil; stir fry until just charred; about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for one minute.
Add drained noodles to the skillet along with the cooked egg, shrimp, and prepared sauce. Turn the heat on to medium-low, and stir until everything is coated well with the sauce. Sprinkle the sliced green onions and cilantro and serve immediately, served with wedges of lime.