Mediterranean Olive Bread
This bread is excellent made as a focaccia bread using a 9-inch cake pan or can also be made in a regular loaf pan. Eat it as-is or carefully slice it horizontally when cooled for a delicious sandwich bread!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup feta crumbled or chunk-chopped
- 1/4 cup pepperconcinis mild or hot
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup black olives pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil finely diced, plus more for top of bread
- 1 1/2 teaspoons deli mustard
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup chopped proiscutto or dried salami
- 1 tablespoon capers rinsed
- 2 tablespoons or more shaved or grated Parmessan cheese for sprinkling on top.
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling before serving
- Fresh basil to sprinkle before serving
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan or regular loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and oregano, sea salt, and black pepper (If you're using garlic powder, rather than fresh garlic, add it here now). Set aside.
In another bowl, add the feta, peperconcinis, onion, olives, tomatoes, mustard, butter, garlic (if using fresh) egg, and milk. Give these ingredients a quick stir.
Sprinkle the flour mixture over the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated.
Pour into the prepared pan. Smooth batter to the sides and sprinkle with chopped prosciutto and extra tomatoes. Add shaved or grated Parmessan cheese. Toss the capers on top and if desired, add additional black pepper.
Bake times will depend on the pan used:
For 9-inch cake pan; bake 33-38 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
Loaf pan; bake 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool on rack, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, sprinkle with chopped or sliced fresh basil.