Asian Pear Cole Slaw Recipe
The cole slaw can be partially made in advance; toast the pumpkin seeds, shred the cabbage, radishes and celery up to a day before. The asian pear and manchego do better when sliced the day of serving. The dressing can also be made the previous day.
Prep Time25 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds pepitas, roasted and cooled, divided - recipe below
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 fennel bulb sliced thin (may substitute for more green cabbage)
- 1 1/2 cup Asian pear about 2, sliced and diced into matchsticks, or wide slices if desired
- 4 radishes sliced and diced into matchsticks (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup sliced or diced celery
- 1/2 cup Manchego cheese plus more for topping, shaved
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Drizzle 1 teaspoon EVOO on pumpkin seeds, season with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each of sea salt, black pepper, and turmeric. Add 2 drops sriracha. Mix well, spread pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes until seeds start to darken and plump up. Remove from oven and let cool. Note; of course you may add whatever seasonings you like to the pumpkin seeds before toasting, but the spices above are a great, healthy combination.
Finally chop 3 tablespoons of the pumpkin seeds. Whisk the pumpkin seeds with the 1/4 cup EVOO, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Taste and add more salt and pepper to your liking. Set dressing aside.
Combine cabbage, fennel, Asian pear, radish, celery and 1/4 cup of the Manchego in a large bowl. Add remaining pumpkin seeds and toss to mix.
Drizzle dressing over top and toss again. Taste and add more seasoning or cheese as desired.
Serve in bowls topped with remaining Manchego.