Tex Mex Sweet Potato Salad
All the colors of the rainbow go into this healthy and hearty salad. A great main dish salad or add chicken or salmon.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 5 -6
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green lettuce chopped
- 1 15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1/2 sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 cup corn fresh, frozen, or canned-rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado sliced
- 1 cup purple cabbage chopped
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1/2 cup scallions chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives sliced
- 1 lime for squeezing on the salad
- Crispy onions or crushed tortilla chips for garnish
- Pickled red onions for garnish
- Salad dressing of your choice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the chopped sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss. Season with the cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper, to taste. Place sheet in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Using a spatula, toss the sweet potatoes. Roast for an additional 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are just tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
Place all salad ingredients into a large salad bowl, saving crispy onions and/or tortilla chips for the garnish on top.
Squeeze fresh lime juice over the salad.
Serve with choice of salad dressing. This salad keeps well for 3 days in the refrigerator
Note-I like to roast or grill the corn for the salad. This salad is very flexible. Feel free to add your favorite Mexican toppings to the mix. Don't use the avocado dressing if you need the salad to be vegan.