Cranberry Pomegranate Relish
The flavors in this relish compliment each other like no other fruit tapenade you've had before. I list ingredients and instructions below for making into a fruit bruschetta, but it's fabulous just spooned on to good quality crackers.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries, washed
- 2 teaspoons coarse chopped fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- Zest from one orange
- 3/4 cup pomegranate arils or seeds*
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- If serving as a bruschetta, also needed:
- 8 oz. good cream cheese or goat cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sliced and chopped basil leaves, or as desired
- 1 baguette, thin, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Note: If making bruschetta, reserve extra orange zest, pomegranate arils and basil to garnish each slice
Place the cranberries, ginger, sugar, honey and Sriracha in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse on and off several times till cranberries are coarsely chopped. Don't process too much.
Add basil and pulse a few more times. Not too much, you want mixture to be a bit chunky.
Transfer to a storage container and add pomegranate arils* and orange zest. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or till ready to use.
For baguette crostinis:
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line 2 sheet pans with foil or parchment paper, if desired for easy clean up.
Place baguette slices on prepared pans. Brush lightly with oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and a grind of pepper.
Bake for 14-18 minutes or until golden, rotating pans halfway through baking time.
For cheese topping - mix chopped basil with softened cream or goat cheese. Spread dollop onto crostinis just before ready to serve.
Top with a tablespoon of cranberry pomegranate relish, using a fork or small slotted spoon.
You should get about 40-50 crostinis. If you don't use them all, store in an airtight container. They can also be frozen and warmed for just a few minutes before serving.
Deseeding a pomegranate is a breeze. Just halve the pomegranate and hold cut side down in your palm over a large bowl placed in your sink and whack it hard several times. The arils will just fall out through your fingers into the bowl. Pick out the white membrane that may fall into the bowl with the seeds.
Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 68mg | Potassium: 201mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 28.3% | Vitamin C: 12.4% | Calcium: 8.4% | Iron: 8.8%