Definition of joy (n)
- great happiness: feelings of great happiness or pleasure, especially of an elevated or spiritual kind.
- something that brings happiness: a pleasurable aspect of something or source of happiness.
- enjoy something: to delight in something.
Joy is what I experienced when I tasted these little bites of heaven for the first time. Fresh coconut and toasty almonds. Rolled in a silky textured chocolate ganache from the gods (actually from Ina Garten but seriously, isn’t she a cooking goddess?).
If you’re a fan of Almond Joy candy, you will love these even more! Deliciously fresh with luscious coconut taste and texture. Forming the balls will go quickly if you have a small cookie scoop to help with the process.
The ganache is richly decadent and a perfect compliment to the coconut and almonds. After assembly, place in refrigerator for at least one hour before serving, but 24 hours is even better.
- 2 cups of shredded coconut
- 4 1/2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almonds
- For ganache
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- To toast the almonds: Preheat the over to 400. Spread raw almonds on a baking sheet. Bake for about 6 minutes. Cool slightly and chop.
- Now line baking tray with parchment and set aside.
- Chop the coconut flakes a bit and add them to a large bowl.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla to the coconut, mixing well.
- Add the toasted, chopped almonds and mix until combined.
- Form balls with the coconut mixture, pressing them together HARD. This step is rather messy and a bit time consuming. If you can, use a small sized cookie scoop to speed the process.
- Arrange the coconut balls on the parchment paper and chill one hour.
- In a medium bowl, add the chocolate chips and whipping cream. Melt in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each round until chocolate is melted and you have a nice smooth mixture. (For a more grown-up taste, add 1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals before melting.)
- Remove balls from refrigerator and roll each in ganache and place back on the parchment. Sprinkle with additional almonds if desired.
- Keep refrigerated until serving. Best if made the day before to give 24 hours to chill but may be served as soon as 1 hour after chilling.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes.