Fried Rice Frittata is a healthy take on a traditional fried rice recipe. This also becomes a great Egg Foo Young when served with fresh brown gravy.
This easy egg fried rice frittata recipe is healthy, super fast and tasty. It’s easily made vegetarian (cook rice in vegetable broth instead of chicken broth) or gluten-free (substitute Tamari sauce), and the choice of vegetables? Just use whatever’s in the fridge.
These are the vegetables I used for a fried rice version and it was ready in a flash. First, I used ingredients commonly found in fried rice recipes. You could also add some ginger and mung bean sprouts. For a good balance between vegetables, rice and eggs, my total vegetables measured about 2 cups before cooking. This is made start to finish in one non-stick pan, first sautéing onions, carrots and mushrooms until the onions are soft and mushrooms just start to brown. Incorporate peas and rice, stirring so vegetables and rice are evenly distributed. Whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, pepper, soy sauce (or Tamari) and hot sauce. Then pour over rice mixture and redistribute before baking in the oven. Bake until set, 15 to 20 minutes and it’s ready to serve! Add some miso soup or some salad for a complete meal. I added extra fresh mushrooms and green onions for garnish and included more hot sauce and soy sauce at the table. AND if you’re craving a good Egg Foo Young, serve a helping of fresh, low-sodium brown gravy on the side as well. Leftovers work great cold in sack lunches or cut up for toddler finger-food.
This dish is on the table in under 30 minutes and if you have young (or grown-up) family members who don’t care for veggies, this might just change that.
Fried Rice Frittata
Handful of each of the following:
- Rough diced carrots
- Fresh sliced mushrooms
- Green onions, white and greens
- Green peas
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, or Tamari
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha hot sauce, This will not make the frittata hot, but may be omitted
- Have extra fresh mushrooms and onions on hand for serving on the side
- If wanting to serve as Egg Foo Young, prepare your favorite brown gravy and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- In a 10 or 12 inch non-stick skillet (I used 12 inch, but if you want your frittata thicker, use a smaller skillet), heat 2 Tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add handful of carrots, mushrooms, green onions, and green peas. Saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 4 eggs, 6 egg whites, ¼ cup milk, ¼ teaspoon pepper, 2 Tablespoons soy sauce and 2 teaspoons hot sauce. Pour egg mixture into skillet and make sure vegetable and rice are evenly distributed.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and bake 15-18 minutes, or until set and top begins to golden.
- Remove from oven, cut as desired and serve immediately with extra vegetables and sauce of your choice.
- Use whatever vegetables you have on hand. This recipe is also delicious with asparagus, or bell peppers.
- If you're looking for a Keto or low carb option, substitute riced cauliflower for the brown rice.
Recipe adapted from Eat 80 20.