Packaged Ladyfingers are pricey, full of preservatives and not always readily available. Here is an easy recipe for making Ladyfingers from scratch with ingredients you already have on hand.
Packaged Ladyfingers are pricey, full of preservatives and not always easily available.
Here is a nice step by step recipe for (easy!) Ladyfingers from Scratch. You probably already have the ingredients on-hand and these are just perfect for making Tiramisu.
Ladyfingers From Scratch - Perfect For Tiramisu
- 4 eggs separated
- 2 Tablespoons + 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Fit large pastry bag with a plain ½ inch round tube. If you don't have one, just cut off the end of a Ziploc bag.
- Place egg whites in a bowl and beat on high until soft peaks start to form. Don't over beat the egg whites.
- Slowly add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining sugar.
- Whip until thick and very pale in color.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
- Fold half the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in flour, and then add the remaining egg whites.
- Transfer mixture to the pastry bag (or Ziploc bag) and pipe strips that look like ladyfingers onto the prepared baking sheet (make them about 6 inches long).
- Bake for 8 minutes.
Slightly adapted from The Cupcake Project.