All you single ladies and single men, listen up! If your friends are having a party and you know a certain someone will be there that you’d like to impress, or ask out, or be asked out by…. take these! Or if you want him to finally “put a ring on it”? Make these! Really, this recipe is the way to love at first bite, they’re that good.
Bacon paired with chicken. Wrapped aroooound chicken! A match made in Heaven, to be sure. My mouth was salivating just from the aroma of bacon and perfectly blended spices while taking these pictures. I finally had to cave and sample
three one so I could focus on the task at hand.
I made bacon wrapped chicken for the first time one Christmas Eve and they lasted maybe five minutes. When my dear friend and neighbor had to move away, her husband, who could not get enough of these said to me, “We’ll always have Bacon Wrapped Chicken.”
Yes, bacon and chicken just go together like chocolate goes with everything, and this recipe’s seasoning combination takes the relationship to a whole new level. Don’t skip the initial sprinkling of oregano, thyme, garlic, salt (yes just a zing of salt) and pepper flakes. And the final dredging of brown sugar and chili powder? This really is the perfect mixture of sweet heat and savory, mouth-watering goodness.
Also, sometimes I run out of broiler pan space before I’m finished wrapping all the chicken bites. If you don’t want to make two batches, put the remaining chicken bites, brown sugar mixture and bacon in a covered container in the refrigerator and the next day cut up the bacon, coat a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and just dump everything in the pan. Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes and serve over salad.
12/10/14 update: If you want to try a main dish version of bacon wrapped chicken, check out my friend Mel’s version over at Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
- 4 boneless skinless, chicken breasts
- 1 16 ounce package sliced bacon
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Have on hand:
- Garlic powder
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Place in a medium bowl and sprinkle with a good amount of oregano, thyme, garlic powder and a good dash of salt and crushed red pepper flakes. (You want these seasonings to coat the chicken, but not to overpower it. Use your good judgment and to your liking) Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and chili powder.
- Cut slab of sliced bacon into thirds.
- Coat a rack and broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make an assembly line: Chicken, bacon, toothpicks, brown sugar/chili powder mixture, black pepper, broiler pan.
- Wrap each chicken piece with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Dredge wrapped chicken in mixture and arrange on broiler pan. Continue until pan it full. Then sprinkle with a bit of black pepper. Bake for 25 -30 minutes or until bacon is crisp. (If your bacon is thick, cooking time may be as much as 45 minutes.)
- Cook's note: your prep and cooking time may vary based on your assembly-line "expertise", oven variations and bacon thickness.
Recipe adapted from Food Network