This sesame chicken recipe comes together with ingredients you already have in your pantry and cooks in your crock pot in no time.
I usually love a good theatrical production in the Good Dinner Mom kitchen. But to be able to place everything in a pot and then go about my day only to come back and dinner is ready, turns me into a culinary magician! This recipe is one you and your family will love on so many levels. The ingredients are readily available in most pantries. And it fits weeknight menus or Sunday “company’s coming” dinner. The sauce has a lighter flavor than sweet and sour chicken. And the simple addition of sesame seeds and scallions will instantly make for an impressive presentation.
- 1 ½ pound boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons dried onion
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds
- Place 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts in crock pot.
- Combine ½ cup honey, ¼ cup soy sauce, 2 Tablespoons onion, 2 Tablespoons ketchup, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, and ½ teaspoon garlic powder. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 ½ – 2 ½ hours, or just until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from crock pot. Leave sauce in pot.
- Dissolve 3 teaspoons cornstarch in 4 Tablespoons water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and return to crock pot - leave chicken in and simmer on low or serve.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice.
Adapted from a recipe given to me by mom.
This looks amazing Sally! I have got to try this. I am in need of some easy, healthy meals this summer.
Another winner! This was quick to make and so delicious. Served it over Cole slaw mix with cabbage and carrots to save even more time.
It was delicious! Even my pickiest eater liked it and that is saying something!! Super easy to make. I served it over homemade fried rice and it was a hit!
rob t says
A definite keeper!!!! Very easy to do and had all the ingredients at home! Followed the recipe exactly.
allyce m says
AMAZING! It tasted just as good as any Chinese restaurant, and my family said they would pay me to make it again!! I’ve been trying to find a good sesame chicken recipe for a long time, and this is definitely as good as it gets!
My mouth is watering. Wish I was making this for dinner instead of my current plan! Maybe tomorrow!