Fresh, grilled pineapple and a homemade teriyaki sauce top this tender, juicy Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger infused with vegetables and ginger.
Fire up the grill because I may have found your new favorite burger. Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger is fresh, juicy and oh-so flavorful. Fresh ground beef is mixed with chopped scallions, grated carrots, ginger root, soy sauce and a touch of sriracha sauce. Then topped with a perfect, freshly-made teriyaki sauce and grilled, caramelized pineapple.
If you’ve never had grilled pineapple, you will want it no other way this summer after you try it over a fire. The outside caramelizes just enough for a special treat to add to any meat, fish, chicken or to enjoy on its own. The homemade pineapple teriyaki sauce is spot-on perfect teriyaki, but couldn’t be easier to create. You’ll want to keep the sauce recipe on hand to make over and over.
As good as the teriyaki sauce and pineapple are, the best part of this recipe is the burger. Good thing, right? Infusing the meat with fresh ingredients before grilling adds incredible flavor… just look at this.
We also added lettuce, avocado and red onions to the bun but feel free to scrap the bun all together. The juicy burger, caramelized pineapple and perfect sauce is also fabulous just over a bed of lettuce.
If you use canned pineapple, make sure you buy pineapple packed in juice and not syrup. Also, I’m sure you could make this with ground turkey, though the turkey is a bit more dry. The added ingredients will help create a moist turkey burger. I think I’m going to try this with salmon next time, I’ll let you know about that.
Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger
For the Teriyaki sauce:
For the burger:
- 2 pounds fresh ground beef
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ½ jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce, more if you like it spicy
- 8 slices fresh pineapple
- Lettuce, red onions and whatever other fixings you want for the burgers
- 8 hamburger buns
Make the Sauce:
- Combine 1 Tablespoon cornstarch in ½ cup cold water and dissolve. Set aside to thicken.
- In a small saucepan, mix ½ cup soy sauce, 1 cup pineapple juice, ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon grated ginger and 2 garlics over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer until sauce reduces, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add cornstarch and water mixture, simmer until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Make the Burgers:
- Combine 2 pounds ground beef with ½ cup grated carrots, ½ cup scallions, ½ jalapeño pepper, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 Tablespoon soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce. Mix throughout but don't overwork the mixture so the patties don't get tough. Form 8 equal sized patties.
On the Grill:
- Place the patties on the hot grill and cook until they reach desired doneness, grilling the pineapple next to the patties during the last 5 minutes or so. Optionally, you could brush a little teriyaki sauce on the pineapple slices as they grill.
- To serve, place a piece of lettuce on the bottom of each burger bun. Top with the cooked burger and 1 Tablespoon (or more) of teriyaki sauce, top with grilled pineapple and any other fixings you want to include.
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste.