BBQ Cauliflower Tacos with Chickpeas, Quinoa, and a creamy lime coleslaw. Start to finish in just over 30 minutes. Delicious and nutritious.
BBQ Cauliflower Tacos with Chickpeas and Quinoa is one of those recipes that tackles everything you want in a family recipe. First of all, it’s simple- ready in about 30 minutes. Next, the ingredients are over-the-top good for you. Last and absolutely the most important component… they taste amazing. A combination of crunchy plus tender textures, mildly smoky barbecue flavor that satisfies even voracious meat lovers. No matter the season, you’ll be making these tacos again and again. Let’s toss this baby together…
Cauliflower and chickpeas are chock full of vitamins, fiber, and folate, just to name a few powerhouse benefits. Plus, they’re filling and satisfying. So starting with a bowl of cauliflower and chickpeas…
…toss lightly with the flavorful barbecue rub. Cumin, paprika (smoked and regular), chili powder, garlic and onion powder all add smoky, robust flavor. In fact, you might want to double or triple the rub recipe so it’s on hand anytime. Coat the cauliflower and chickpeas with as much or as little as you like.
Next, roast in the oven so all the flavors blend and the cauliflower gets crispy-soft. Immediately after this mix comes out of the oven, toss it with 1/2 cup or more of crunch, cooked quinoa (any type). Quinoa is loaded with minerals, fiber, and protein to balance out the other powerful ingredients.
Fresh corn tortillas can be heated or even quick-fried (our preference) before adding the taco filling. And for the best topping of all, add this simple creamy Lime Cole Slaw. The cole slaw and dressing are keeper-recipes all on their own. Simple, bagged, shredded cabbage is tossed with the dressing of mayonnaise (vegannaise works too), Dijon, a tiny bit of maple syrup, cider vinegar, celery salt, and the juice of one lime. See? A keeper.
The cauliflower and chickpea filling ingredients are also great served as part of a salad. Great for weeknights or serving for a dinner party. Everytime I’ve served this recipe, it’s a huge, huge hit. Give it a try soon and let me know what you think!
Cook’s note: The list of ingredients seems daunting but you probably have most of the seasonings in your pantry. This is a very easy, healthy recipe.
BBQ Cauliflower Tacos with Chickpeas and Quinoa
Lime Slaw Dressing
- 1 14 ounce bag of cole slaw mix or 6 - 7 cups of thinly chopped cabbage and carrots
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon water
- Juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 14 0z. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, optional
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 1 sliced jalapeno for garnish
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Fresh corn tortillas, about 12
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make the fresh cole slaw: In a medium sized bowl add all of the slaw dressing ingredients and stir until completely combined. In a large bowl, add the cabbage mixture and pour dressing over. Mix and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, add all of the BBQ rub ingredients and mix together.
- Separate all of the cauliflower florets and chop them into bite size pieces. Place florets and chickpeas into a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with BBQ rub. Depending on the size of your head of cauliflower you may not need to use all the rub. Toss everything together with your hands so that cauliflower and chickpeas are coated with the rub. Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, stirring once 1/2 way through baking. After removing from the oven, stir the cooked quinoa into the cauliflower/chickpea mixture.
- If desired, warm up corn tortillas on the stove or in the oven. Add about 1/4 cup of cauliflower and chickpeas to each taco and top with a few tablespoons of cole slaw. Top with sliced jalapenos and cilantro.
- The quinoa is optional in this recipe and the tacos are perfect without it. If you have leftover quinoa however, this is a great recipe for it.
- The cauliflower and chickpeas can be baked up to a day in advance and reheated before serving.
- We like to fry our corn tortillas in about an inch of neutral oil heated to medium-high, about 15 seconds on each side. Remove to 3 layers of paper towels and blot extra oil with another paper towel. You can also sprinkle the tortillas with seasoning salt of your choice after blotting. Fold the tortillas in half and set aside until serving.
Recipe adapted from She Likes Food.