I don’t think I need to comment on this picture. What else could I say so you’ll want to make this warm and nutty quinoa breakfast RIGHT NOW?
I’ll just say these few words more. Red quinoa. Coconut milk. Cinnamon toasted nuts. Berries. Delicious… Your new breakfast favorite. Promise.
This recipe is inspired by a breakfast I had recently in Moab, Utah at a restaurant called The Love Muffin. Decrease the amount of nuts and adjust your choice of milk if you’re worried about calories or fat. But remember, the fat content in this recipe is from healthy sources.
Cook’s note: I regularly add chia seeds and flax to this dish. And if you’re in a hurry, skip toasting the nuts, but don’t forget to still add cinnamon.
- ½ cup red quinoa (may substitute any color of quinoa here)
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Cinnamon to taste
- ½ to 1 cup strawberries and blueberries, or other favorite fresh fruit
- Agave nectar or honey, optional
- Coconut cream to pour on top
- In medium sauce pan, bring quinoa and water to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until water evaporates, approximately 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast almonds and walnuts in small dry sauté pan until nice and golden but not burnt. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Combine quinoa, nuts and berries in breakfast bowls. If desired, drizzle with Agave or honey. (If using coconut milk, you do may not want any sweetener. The coconut milk makes it plenty sweet enough.)
- Pour coconut cream over the mixture and enjoy!