This vegetable and quinoa salad recipe is fresh and versatile. This is called Bocconcini and Oregano Salad in the cookbook Quinoa 365, which I’ve been featuring and will complete a review soon. I renamed it for my recipe because it doesn’t need the bocconcini (fresh mozzarella cheese). In fact, it is much better with no cheese at all which makes this even more healthy as a vegan option. I felt the mozzarella was tasteless in the dish but if you’re set on using cheese, I would add feta.
This versatile salad is a great gluten-free option for pasta salad. The red and yellow bell peppers with the zucchini, red onions, tomatoes and peas make this super colorful and fresh. Balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and oregano, this dressing brings it all together. Easily interchangeable with your favorite garden produce, you could add mushrooms or even give it a kick with some jalapenos. This salad keeps well and just gets better the next day.
- Salad ingredients
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas thawed
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper about 1 pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- For the dressing
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Dash salt
- Good dash black pepper
- Optional 1 cup diced or crumbled feta cheese or cut mini fresh mozzarella cheese
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for 6 more minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the quinoa. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Combine the zucchini, tomatoes, onion, peas and red and yellow pepper in a large bow.
- Whisk the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and thoroughly mix all the ingredients. Add the quinoa and mixt until evenly combined. If you include feta or mozzarella, add that now and stir until just combined. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Adapted from Quinoa 365