A pretty veggie tray alternative, salad stuffed shells make an impressive presentation and can be customized with whatever type of salad you choose.
My youngest son is known for having an adult palate for eating and is very adventurous on most occasions. Except when it comes to simple tossed green salads. Ryan usually picks out the vegetables he likes and will leave most of the lettuce and tomatoes behind. He will however, devour these salad stuffed shells. The presentation must be the hook and I’ve fooled him into not making the connection that these are shells stuffed with “salad”. Plus they just look pretty darn cool.
What a great alternative these are to the usual “veggie tray”. Change up the stuffing ingredients to suit your party’s theme, the time of year, or your personal taste. Think of using this idea to offer a combination of shells stuffed with egg salad, chicken salad and crab or seafood salad at a luncheon.
Why not include these at your appetizer table where you’d like to offer a salad option but want to keep everything finger-food simple? To personalize this recipe even more, leave off the salad dressing but offer multiple dressings on the side for your guests or family to drizzle on top.
Have a favorite pasta salad recipe? Mix together all the ingredients except the pasta and stuff into the shells!
Salad Stuffed Shells
- 18 jumbo pasta shells
- 5 slices salami, sliced
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce, or baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- ¾ cup chopped red onion
- 20 Black olives, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus tips, blanched
- ¼ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup salad dressing of your choice, plus extra for drizzling or to taste
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese or Feta crumbles, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and cool in refrigerator while preparing salad.
- In a bowl, combine sliced salami 4 cups romaine, 1 cup tomatoes, ¾ cup onion, 20 olives, 1 bunch asparagus tip, ¼ cup frozen peas, 1 avocado, and ½ cup salad dressing and toss.
- Stuff the shells, arrange on platter and provide extra dressing to spoon over shells or drizzle more over the top. Sprinkle extra cheese over shells, if desired.