If these Chocolate Kiss Cookies look rich, they are. If these Chocolate Kiss Cookies look delicious…. they are! I’ve tried many chocolate cookie recipes searching for one that was moist on the inside with the right amount of chewy outside. Almost like rich, decadent brownies. Finally, these cookies are the ticket. Using plain Greek yogurt as a key ingredient seems to do the trick for creating the moist, chewy balance. Plus, the recipe is not overly sweet, which let’s the chocolate flavor reign.
These cookies are ready quickly (no refrigerating the dough before baking), and this is a good one to make with kids. Just know they won’t be able to help unwrap all those Kisses without sampling a few. I used Hershey’s Special Dark Kisses here, but use whatever is your favorite. (Try their limited edition Caramel filled for Easter!)
Use any type of sugar you like for these cookies. Decorating sugar, sanding sugar, turbinado sugar OR leave them naked. It’s all good. The Kisses will melt a bit after they’re placed on the cookies. Try not to move them until they’ve cooled completely or you’ll get a few flopped tops like I did. But really? You’ll eat those too.
Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- 1/3 cup butter, softened (5 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Coarse white sanding sugar, or sugar of your liking
- 36 Hershey's Kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Unwrap Hershey's Kisses and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add the Greek yogurt and egg and beat until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture until just incorporated.
- Using tablespoonfuls of dough, gently roll cookies into balls and roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes, then place Hershey's Kiss on top, pressing down gently. Do not move the cookies until they are completely cool and the kiss has a chance to set back up (or your little kiss top might flop).
- Store cooled cookies in airtight container.
- Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Original recipe from Inside BruCrew Life.