Reverse ravioli with red pepper, Vidalia onion, garlic and diced tomatoes. All come together with balsamic vinegar and Herbs de Provence. Ricotta is mixed with farfalle pasta.
Easy, colorful, delicious. Reverse ravioli with balsamic vegetables combines fresh red pepper, Vidalia or other sweet onion, diced tomatoes and a healthy splash of balsamic vinegar. Seasoned with Herbs de Provence. Herbs de Provence? As in from France? Well yes, sort of. This is not a typical herb that most of us keep in the pantry, but give it a try. You may even feel a bit of French sophistication when buying it. Usually Herbs de Provence is a combination of savory, fennel, basil, thyme, oregano and lavender! The flavor combination of this herb is surprisingly subtle and earthy. But back to our reverse ravioli recipe. Instead of cheese inside the pasta, fresh ricotta is mixed with farfalle pasta while warm and then topped with the balsamic vegetables. This dish comes together effortlessly and is impressive. A great vegetarian pasta dish, but you could easily add cooked chicken or sausage.
Reverse Ravioli with Balsamic Vegetables
- 16 oz. whole wheat or vegan farfalle pasta, or other favorite chunky pasta
- ½ cup fresh ricotta - not low-fat, Substitute firm tofu for a vegan dish
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 Vidalia onion, cut into large chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence
- 2- 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 dash sugar
- Cook 16 ounces pasta according to directions; rinse and return to pot. Add ½ cup ricotta cheese and stir until pasta is evenly coated.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 bell pepper and 1 onion, cooking about 6 minutes or until onions start to caramelize. Add 3 garlic, ½ teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence; cook about 30 seconds stirring to combine.
- Add 2-15 ounces tomatoes at this time and 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle just a dash of sugar over mixture to take the acidic edge down. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook just an additional minute.
- Serve pasta in a bowl, topped with balsamic vegetable mixture.
Adapted from Palate/Palette/Plate.