BBQ Cauliflower Tacos with Chickpeas and Quinoa is one of those recipes that tackles everything you want in a family recipe. First of all, it’s simple- ready in about 30 minutes. Next, the ingredients are over-the-top good for you. Last and absolutely the most important component… they taste amazing. A combination of crunchy plus tender textures, mildly smoky barbecue flavor that satisfies even voracious meat lovers. No matter the season, you’ll be making these tacos again and again. Let’s toss this baby together…
Cauliflower and chickpeas are chock full of vitamins, fiber, and folate, just to name a few powerhouse benefits. Plus, they’re filling and satisfying. So starting with a bowl of cauliflower and chickpeas…
…toss lightly with the flavorful barbecue rub. Cumin, paprika (smoked and regular), chili powder, garlic and onion powder all add smoky, robust flavor. In fact, you might want to double or triple the rub recipe so it’s on hand anytime. Coat the cauliflower and chickpeas with as much or as little as you like.
Next, roast in the oven so all the flavors blend and the cauliflower gets crispy-soft. Immediately after this mix comes out of the oven, toss it with 1/2 cup or more of crunch, cooked quinoa (any type). Quinoa is loaded with minerals, fiber, and protein to balance out the other powerful ingredients.
Fresh corn tortillas can be heated or even quick-fried (our preference) before adding the taco filling. And for the best topping of all, add this simple creamy Lime Cole Slaw. The cole slaw and dressing are keeper-recipes all on their own. Simple, bagged, shredded cabbage is tossed with the dressing of mayonnaise (vegannaise works too), Dijon, a tiny bit of maple syrup, cider vinegar, celery salt, and the juice of one lime. See? A keeper.
The cauliflower and chickpea filling ingredients are also great served as part of a salad. Great for weeknights or serving for a dinner party. Everytime I’ve served this recipe, it’s a huge, huge hit. Give it a try soon and let me know what you think!
- Lime Slaw Dressing:
- 1 14 ounce bag of cole slaw mix or 6 - 7 cups of thinly chopped cabbage and carrots
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon water
- Juice of one lime
- BBQ Rub:
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Taco filling
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup cooked quinoa (optional, but delicious)
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 1 sliced jalapeno, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Fresh corn tortillas, about 12
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make the fresh cole slaw: In a medium sized bowl add all of the slaw dressing ingredients and stir until completely combined. In a large bowl, add the cabbage mixture and pour dressing over. Mix and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, add all of the BBQ rub ingredients and mix together.
- Separate all of the cauliflower florets and chop them into bite size pieces. Place florets and chickpeas onto a large baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with BBQ rub. Depending on the size of your head of cauliflower you may not need to use all the rub. Toss everything together with your hands so that cauliflower and chickpeas are coated with the rub. Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, stirring once ½ way through baking. After removing from the oven, stir the cooked quinoa into the cauliflower/chickpea mixture.
- If desired, warm up corn tortillas on the stove or in the oven. Add about ¼ cup of cauliflower and chickpeas to each taco and top with a few tablespoons of cole slaw. Top with sliced jalapenos and cilantro.
Recipe adapted from She Likes Food.