The best cranberry salad ever, made with fresh cranberries, marshmallows, pineapple and whipped cream. It’s sure to be a favorite at your holiday table.
Cranberry Salad, or Cranberry Fluff as it’s commonly called if you’re from the midwest, is sure to become one of the favorite fresh items on your table. During the holidays or any time of year, if you want a special “non-jello” fruit salad that’s easy to make, this is that recipe.
What’s in Cranberry Salad?
Fresh or frozen cranberries- Chop them in a food processor… (If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a hand chopper or even a big chef’s knife. If using a knife, I would freeze the cranberries first as they’ll chop up easily.)
Sugar, pineapple, walnuts- Stir in sugar, pineapple and walnuts. Let that mixture sit in the refrigerator for one hour to incorporate everything and dissolve the sugar. Then mix in marshmallows…
And REAL whipped cream. After it’s all mixed, refrigerate for at least 4 hours but I highly, HIGHLY recommend you make it at least the day before serving. The Cranberry Salad will just get darker and more flavorful over time. Can even be made two days ahead of serving.
This makes a lot. About 20 one cup servings. And it’s very pretty. But mostly, it’s delicious. Serve it with the meal or even as a dessert. Leftovers can be served for up to 4 days. If the juice and whipped cream separate during that time, just give it a quick stir.
How to serve Cranberry Salad or Cranberry Fluff-
Serve it in a big bowl for self serve or to really show it off, spoon it into pretty clear glasses. Also, if you want even more fruit and flavor, add orange segments or sliced bananas just before serving. Easy, colorful, and make-ahead easy… what more could you want, other than amazing flavor? It’s got that, too.
Best Cranberry Salad Ever
- Chop 12 ounces cranberries with a food processor. Not too finely.
- In a bowl, mix the chopped cranberries with 1 cup sugar, 8 ounces crushed pineapple and ½ cup chopped walnuts. Place this mixture in the fridge for one hour for flavors to meld and sugar to dissolve completely.
- Remove cranberry mixture from refrigerator. Set aside.
- Beat the 1 pint of heavy whipping cream into stiff peaks.
- Add 1 to 2 cups mini marshmallows to the cranberry mixture, until thoroughly incorporated into the mix.
- Then slowly fold in the whipped cream, until it's completely pink and beautiful!
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but overnight is even better.
- If the dessert seems a bit watery, don't worry because the marshmallows will absorb a lot of the moisture during refrigeration. Also, as noted above, make sure your cream is whipped into stiff peaks. You can also add more marshmallows, if necessary.
- Also, I just received a tip (Thanks, Katie R.) that the cranberry salad is excellent served frozen. It serves up pretty hard so remove from freezer about 5 minutes before serving and cut into squares.