Butter Blossom Lettuce Salad is ready in10 minutes, is flavorful and beautiful. Lettuce, radishes, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, and shaved Parmesan cheese.
This salad is a beauty and excellent to pair with any meal. Serve it arranged on a large platter and it becomes Butter Blossom Lettuce Salad. The soft, round leaves of butter lettuce create the perfect Spring flower blossom and have a mild buttery flavor. Radicchio leaves add a nice bitter bite to the salad while radishes create the perfect peppery spice.
This recipe was created out a an offer that came to me from Bella Sun Luci to feature some of their products in a post. I jumped at the chance because I already buy their sun-dried tomatoes, the quality and flavor are always first rate. Easily tossed onto the Butter Blossom Lettuce Salad, the tomatoes add nice depth of flavor, beautiful color, and pair perfectly with the Dijon mustard vinaigrette dressing. Finish off with pickly capers and top with some shaved Parmesan.
You can vary the types of lettuce to your liking for this recipe but I highly recommend the combination of radishes, sun-dried tomatoes, capers, and Parmesan. This is the perfect mix of textures and bright, bold flavors. For a main dish salad, top with grilled chicken or smoked salmon, even thinly sliced flank steak (my favorite).
I’ll be serving this salad a lot this summer and it’s even a great winter side. Because it takes only 10 minutes to toss together and looks beautiful! Easily changed up with crumbled blue cheese instead of the Parmesan, change out the capers for some mixed gourmet olives. If you get assigned a tossed salad at your next dinner get-together, give this a try. Economical and simple, but sure to impress!
Butter Blossom Lettuce Salad
For the Dressing:
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
For the Salad:
- 1 head of butter lettuce, leaves separated and washed
- 1 head of radicchio, sliced thin
- 3 green onions, green and white parts, sliced thinly
- 10 radishes, trimmed and cut into ⅛-inch thick slices
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained, whole or diced (Bella Sun Luci is an excellent brand)
- 2 Tablespoons capers, whole if small or very roughly chopped
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese, more or less to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl combine 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1 Tablespoon vinegar, 2 teaspoons mustard, ¼ teaspoon salt, and the ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the oil and whisk until fully blended. Set aside.
- Wash the 1 head of lettuce leaves, dry well and keep whole or tear into large pieces. Arrange in blossom or flower shape on serving platter, or toss in large salad bowl. Add 1 head of radicchio, 3 green onions,10 radishes and 1 cup tomatoes; either placing over butter lettuce on serving platter or tossing with lettuce in bowl.
- Drizzle salad dressing over salad if serving on platter and sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons of chopped capers and top with ½ cup shaved Parmesan. If using salad bowl, toss dressing, capers, and cheese before serving.
amber bell says
It was delicious! I recommend this to anyone looking for something quick and elegant!
alicia r says
This salad is AWESOME! We always have it w/ grilled chicken, it is soooo good!
This has become one of our favourites. I really enjoy the blend of lettuces and I often serve this salad with Italian meals. Thanks so much Sally!
gina robinson says
This salad is fantastic and received rave reviews by recent dinner guests! I added toasted pine nuts before serving, and it was excellent. Definitely a keeper, and one I plan to make frequently!
Anna b says
Excellent salad which got raves from the entire family. Perfect combination of ingredients and we loved, loved, loved the radicchio and radishes together.
TRACY IN MD says
I eat salad everyday and I am always looking for new recipes to try. This looks absolutely delicious Sally!
Sally Humeniuk says
Thank you, Tracy! This is a nice addition to any salad menu. I’m glad you agree!
Yum! Love the sun-dried tomatoes addition.