Chai Chia Granola uses a combination of cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. These spices compliment the oats, chia seeds, coconut and almonds perfectly.
If you want a satisfying granola recipe that is perfect for this time of year, Chai Chia Granola may be just what you’re looking for. This granola is rustic with a one-of-a-kind flavor. Simple ingredients that are not overly sweet, though just sweet enough and perfectly crunchy to eat alone or on yogurt, fruit or cereal.
Crunchy and delicious, for sure. Rolled oats, chia seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut along with almonds or any nuts of your choice. And if you haven’t discovered the health benefits of chia seeds yet, well it’s time to introduce this powerhouse into your life and this is the perfect recipe for just that.
Let’s talk about the “Chai” part of Chia Chai Granola. The spices – cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg and allspice- are a rich combination that is not your typical cinnamon-only spice option for granola. This was really the part that had me deciding I had to make it.
You will notice that Chai Chia Granola has a look that is rather “dull” in comparison to the sheen of other granolas you’re used to. Since it is not slathered in syrup, molasses or sugar, it’s better for you and without the heavy sweeteners, you are able to enjoy all the other simple yet powerful ingredients. A small amount of coconut oil, honey and brown sugar compliment but don’t overpower the other ingredients in this recipe. Egg whites bind everything together nicely.
Our favorite way to enjoy Chia Chai Granola is with our favorite yogurt. Or, to just eat it out of hand. This granola would be perfect for a gift-in-a-jar at the holidays.
Chia Chai Granola
- 4 cups rolled oats
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- 1 cup chopped or sliced almonds or whatever nuts you like
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Prepare two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds, flax meal, chia seeds, and spices.
- In a smaller microwave-safe bowl, combine honey and oil. Heat for 15 seconds and stir to combine well. Add to dry mixture and mix well to coat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Stir whites into granola mixture, folding to coat.
- Evenly distribute mixture between the two baking sheets, spreading evenly. Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking to prevent edges from burning (*it is also a good idea to switch racks halfway through).
- Allow mixture to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Eighty-Twenty