This recipe for Citrus-Marinated Chicken is super simple and you probably have most of the ingredients on hand. It requires a bit of pre-planning since everything should marinate for at least four hours, but every step is so simple and when all is said and done, ‘tender’ and ‘juicy’ are two words you’ll use to describe this dish. And ‘flavorful’ is another. The orange and lemon juices infuse a natural sweetness and the garlic and thyme round it out for a warm, rustic taste.
Fire up the grill or bake it in the oven and then serve sliced with a squeeze of little clementine oranges or top with chives. Your favorite chicken dipping sauce is good with it but unnecessary especially when paired with chunky roasted root vegetables.
This is a great meal that’s totally tasty, good for you and good for your waist, by the way. When served with the root vegetables, why not serve it family-style? Because food served for sharing leads to conversation and leisurely eating. Doesn’t get much better than that… and the cook can also relax because clean up is a breeze. You’re welcome.
Citrus Marinated Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- Juice from one medium lemon about 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 fresh orange quartered, to squeeze over chicken at serving (clementines work great)
- In a small bowl, combine orange juice, lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper, garlic and thyme. Pour into large zip-log bag or a bowl.
- Pierce chicken breasts with a fork and add to the marinade.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken and pat dry.
- Cook chicken using your own desired method: If grilling, heat grill to medium and cook until golden, 4 to 5 minutes per side. If cooking with charcoal, place chicken over indirect heat. Check temperature of thickest part of chicken and remove from heat when temperature reaches 165F degrees.
- Squeeze fresh orange quarters over sliced chicken just before serving.
- Cook's note: Citrus Marinated Chicken Breasts are great cooked in the oven or on the stove top as well.
Cook’s note: Chicken photographed for this piece was marinated for 4 hours.
Recipe adapted from Prevention Magazine.