Oregano oil can be modified using basil in place of oregano and is a great pesto substitute or vegan dressing. Oregano, parsley and extra virgin olive oil.
Oregano oil (known as chimichurri) is unusual and fresh and an easy substitute for pesto. Perfect for the summer herb season coming soon. Change up the herbs and use basil in place of the oregano if you like. Use in soups and as a great dipping sauce for bread. Perfect vegan salad dressing option. Delicious on steak! This recipe was used as an add-in for my Rustic Tomato Soup recipe.
This pesto is unusual and fresh. Change up the herbs and utilize basil in place of the oregano. Possibilities are endless.
- ¼ cup fresh oregano, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh curly parsley, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place ¼ cup oregano, ¼ cup parsley, 2 garlic cloves and ¼ teaspoon salt in bowl of a food processor with metal blade attachment. Begin to pulse, slowly adding ¾ cup olive oil. Continue to process until desired consistency.
- Use in soups, over salads and as a dipping sauce for breads.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 1478 Calories from Fat 1467
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 23g144%
Polyunsaturated Fat 17g
Monounsaturated Fat 118g
Vitamin A 1468IU29%
Vitamin C 22mg27%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
mark burr says
Enjoyed! I doubled the recipe and keep the remainder in the fridge, stirring it up before using as a sandwich spread. Awesome, thanks for a great recipe Sally.
I feel like an idiot for all the times I have spent money on bottled dipping oils from the store. This was so easy and I had everything in my cupboard. I served it at game night for my lady friends and had warm, tomato piccata bread with it and everyone loved it!
anna harrison says
This stuff is SO GOOD! And great to have with warm bread to dip in. Thank you for sharing, it was wonderful!
I told my husband as I was walking out the door – “Find a rustic tomato soup recipe to cook for dinner. He made yours with the oregano oil and I am forever in love! DELICIOUS! Hands down best recipe for tomato soup. Thanks
Nicky, That is too cute. I’m glad you love it, I do too. Tell your husband thanks for stopping by. 🙂