I was on a quest for the perfect accompaniment to my Turkey Chili in the Slow Cooker and this is definitely it! These Cornbread Muffins with Cheddar, Scallions and Jalapenos have the perfect dense-but-light (oxymoron?) texture and the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors. In the past, I’ve tried many a cornbread recipe only to be disappointed with dry and bland results. So trust me on this, you are going to love this recipe and won’t ever go back to
shutter using a mix.
The recipe works well in 12-cup regular muffin tins or a 8″ by 8″ square pan. I like to bake mine in this mini cheesecake pan (similar to a jumbo muffin pan) because everyone always asks for more and this recipe deserves an impressive presentation.
The muffins are surprisingly moist, with excellent cornbread texture. A good dose of cornmeal that’s just sweet enough thanks to the addition of a tiny bit of honey. This compliments the melted cheddar plus the mild heat of jalapenos and the bite of green onions. You can change the add-ins to your liking. I sometimes will switch out the jalapenos for diced green chiles. The recipe can be quick-stirred or mixed in one bowl, which is awesome. But more importantly, this is the most delicious cornbread ever!
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), melted
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ Tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup diced green onions
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (leave in the seeds for a bit of heat, if desired)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line the insides of your muffin tin or pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, stir by hand or mix on low speed, butter, sugar and honey together. Add eggs and buttermilk, stir or increase speed to medium-low until well mixed. Add cornmeal, salt and baking soda. Once this is well mixed, add the flour and then stir or mix just until the flour disappears.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the entire mixture to prevent the cheese from clumping together.
- Add the green onions and jalapeno and stir with a rubber spatula until mixed throughout.
- Divide batter equally between the cups, filling almost to the top. This batter will fill 12 regular muffin tins, or 6 jumbo muffins, or can be placed in an 8-x 8" square pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Prick the center of one muffin and make sure it comes out clean. If not clean, bake for about 3 more minutes.
- Serve with butter or honey-butter, if desired. Yes, honey-butter is a great flavor even with the onions and jalapenos.
- Cook's note: You can substitute the jalapenos and cheddar cheese with ¼ cup diced green chiles, if desired. Also very tasty!
Recipe adapted from this cute blog- The Comfort of Cooking.