This easy egg fried rice frittata recipe is healthy, super fast and tasty. It’s easily made vegetarian (cook rice in vegetable broth instead of chicken broth) or gluten-free (substitute Tamari sauce), and the choice of vegetables? Just use whatever’s in the fridge.
These are the vegetables I used for a fried rice version and it was ready in a flash. First, I used ingredients commonly found in fried rice recipes. You could also add some ginger and mung bean sprouts. For a good balance between vegetables, rice and eggs, my total vegetables measured about 2 cups before cooking. This is made start to finish in one non-stick pan, first sautéing onions, carrots and mushrooms until the onions are soft and mushrooms just start to brown. Incorporate peas and rice, stirring so vegetables and rice are evenly distributed. Whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, pepper, soy sauce (or Tamari) and hot sauce. Then pour over rice mixture and redistribute before baking in the oven. Bake until set, 15 to 20 minutes and it’s ready to serve! Add some miso soup or some salad for a complete meal. I added extra fresh mushrooms and green onions for garnish and included more hot sauce and soy sauce at the table. AND if you’re craving a good Egg Foo Young, serve a helping of fresh, low-sodium brown gravy on the side as well. Leftovers work great cold in sack lunches or cut up for toddler finger-food.
This dish is on the table in under 30 minutes and if you have young (or grown-up) family members who don’t care for veggies, this might just change that.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, instant rice is fine (cook in broth of choice for best flavor)
- Handful of each of the following:
- Fresh sliced mushrooms
- Rough diced carrots
- Green onions, white and greens
- Green peas
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce (or Tamari)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha hot sauce (This will not make the frittata hot, but may be omitted)
- Have extra fresh mushrooms and onions on hand for serving on the side
- If wanting to serve as Egg Foo Young, prepare your favorite brown gravy and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- In a 10 or 12 inch non-stick skillet (I used 12 inch, but if you want your frittata thicker, use a smaller skillet), heat the oil over medium heat. Add carrots, mushrooms and green onions. Saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, pepper, soy sauce and hot sauce. Pour egg mixture into skillet and make sure vegetable and rice are evenly distributed.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and bake 15-18 minutes, or until set and top begins to golden.
- Remove from oven, cut as desired and serve immediately with extra vegetables and sauce of your choice.
Recipe adapted from Eat 80 20.