Asparagus Hummus Recipe is a healthy snack with garbanzo beans, garlic and lemon. Just a touch of added cayenne and peper flakes gives a subtle kick to this great recipe.
This Asparagus Hummus Dip with Garlic and Lemon is delicious, quick to make and full of good-for-you fresh ingredients. Asparagus, garlic, chickpeas, sesame seeds and cayenne. Infused together with healthy extra-virgin olive oil. This beautiful medley…
…comes together quickly to make this delicious vegan appetizer or snack.
Asparagus Hummus Dip with Garlic and Lemon
- ¾ lb. asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 14-oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cooking water
- 1 good dash cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat a dry, small skillet over medium-high heat. Toast 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Prepare a bowl filled with ice water.
- Add the ¾ lb. of asparagus pieces and cook until the asparagus is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Just before the asparagus is finished cooking, scoop out 1 tablespoon of the cooking water and set aside.
- Drain and immediately plunge the asparagus into the ice water to stop the cooking.
- Transfer the asparagus to the bowl of a food processor, along with the 14 oz. can of drained and rinsed garbanzo beans, 3-4 cloves of garlic,1 tablespoon of sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice,1 tablespoon of reserved cooking water, 1 good dash of cayenne pepper, ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon of salt. Process until the ingredients are well combined.
- With the processor running, slowly pour in the 2 tablespoons plus, 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Process until smooth.
- Taste and add more lemon juice, red pepper flakes or salt, to taste.
- This dip only gets better with time. I recommend refrigerating for at least one hour or up to overnight before serving.
- Serve with healthy chips, crackers or raw vegetables.
Information per 2 tablespoon serving: Calories 56.6, Total fat 2.5g, Sat. fat 2.5g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 102.5mg, Carbs 7.1g, Fiber 1.5g, Sugars 0g, Protein 1.8g
Adapted from Cookin Canuck