This Asparagus Hummus Dip with Garlic and Lemon is delicious, quick to make and full of good-for-you fresh ingredients. Asparagus, garlic, chickpeas, sesame seeds and cayenne. Infused together with healthy extra-virgin olive oil. This beautiful medley…
…comes together quickly to make this delicious vegan appetizer or snack.
- 3/4 lb. asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 14 oz. can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cooking water
- 1 good dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat dry small skillet over medium-high heat. Toast sesame seeds until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Prepare a bowl filled with ice water.
- Add the asparagus pieces and cook until the asparagus is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Just before the asparagus is finished cooking, scoop out 1 tablespoon of the cooking water and set aside.
- Drain and immediately plunge the asparagus into the ice water to stop the cooking.
- Transfer the asparagus to the bowl of a food processor, along with the garbanzo beans, garlic, sesame seeds, lemon juice, reserved cooking water, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes and salt. Process until the ingredients are well combined.
- With the processor running, slowly pour in the olive oil. Process until smooth.
- Taste and add more lemon juice, red pepper flakes or salt, to taste.
- This dip only gets better with time. I recommend refrigerating for at least one hour or up to overnight before serving.
- Serve with healthy chips, crackers or raw vegetables.
Information per 2 tablespoon serving: Calories 56.6, Total fat 2.5g, Sat. fat 2.5g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 102.5mg, Carbs 7.1g, Fiber 1.5g, Sugars 0g, Protein 1.8g
Adapted from Cookin Canuck