This recipe guarantees instant stardom at your next get together! A delicious taco filling goes into standing crunchy shells and is baked up in the oven all under 30 minutes. Set up a buffet with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, more cheese, jalapenos and any other favorite taco toppings. Everyone gets delicious, hot tacos their own way. Add Mexican rice and refried beans and it’s a colorful party table with very little work or clean up! Made with ground beef, but turkey or even chicken would work just as well. Easily made vegetarian with black beans in place of the meat.
Baked Crunchy Taco Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 14.5 can petite diced tomatoes, drained (fire roasted preferred)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup green salsa verde
- 10 crunchy taco shells
- Shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, black olives, jalapenos, green onions, salsa, hot sauce and lime wedges (Basically whatever you'd like on a taco)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook meat in a saucepan on medium heat until no longer pink. Drain and return to burner.
- Stir canned tomatoes, taco seasoning, 1/2 cup cheese, and the salsa verde into meat.
- Arrange taco shells standing up in a 9x13" ungreased pan. Fill each shell with the meat mixture, dividing equally until all the meat is used.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the tops of the filled tacos and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- While tacos are baking, arrange taco toppings in assembly line fashion in small bowls or however is convenient.
- After casserole has heated through and cheese is melted, serve immediately with toppings.
- Use whatever taco toppings you like upon serving. Green onions, black olives, sour cream, etc.
Recipe adapted from heatherlikesfood.com