Baked eggs with herbs and turmeric is a simple dish that is delicious and impressive. Perfect for a small gathering at breakfast or brunch, or on those nights where only “breakfast dinner” will do. The herbs listed in the recipe work well together, but you may add your own combination of whatever you have on-hand. Turmeric adds beautiful color and is becoming a favorite ingredient for continued healthy eating. The slightly bitter taste of this spice is countered by the herbs, garlic and Parmesan for a perfect medley.
The beauty of this dish is that its easily customizable to whatever you like to use for seasonings. Leave the turmeric out if you must. Increase the garlic or Parmesan. It’s hard to get this one wrong.
Serve with toasted bread or oven hash browns on the side.
- 2 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Note - I have made this using different herbs, basically whatever is on hand.
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan, or more to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turmeric to taste (optional)
- Toasted bread for serving
- Preheat the broiler for 5 minutes and place a rack in the middle position of your oven.
- Combine the garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and Parmesan and set aside. Carefully crack 2 eggs into each of 4 small bowls or teacups (you won't be baking them in these) without breaking the yolks. (This is important so you can quickly slip the eggs into the hot ramiken or graten cups when they are called for.)
- Place 4 individual gratin dishes or ramikens on a baking sheet. Place 1 tablespoon of cream and ½ tablespoon of butter in each dish and place under the broiler for about 4 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- Quickly, but carefully, pour 2 eggs into each gratin dish and sprinkle evenly with the herb mixture, then sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper and turmeric.
- Place back under the broiler for 6 or 7 minutes, until the whites of the eggs are cooked. (Rotate the baking sheet once if they aren't cooking evenly.) The eggs will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven but you might want to test them with a fork till they are just about to your desired doneness.
- Allow to set for 60 seconds and serve hot with toasted bread.