Cajun Spiced Chicken Wings will replace buffalo chicken wings as your new favorite appetizer. A crowd pleaser for company or dinner anytime.
These Cajun spiced chicken wings came to be at Super Bowl XLVII. My family loves Buffalo Wings, but sometimes I miss the mark. Our favorite wings are from Squatters Brew Pub and I have yet to capture their wipe-sweat-from-your-brow-but-keep-eating perfect medley of heat and flavor. (Stay tuned on my quest to capture that perfect combination.)
I don’t like poultry skin but chicken wings never come skinless, right? So, I always trim as much of the skin from my wings as possible before baking them. It does take a few extra minutes, but try it once. You’ll see it is worth it. Trimming the fat is not only great for your waist, but let’s hear it for the seasoning actually being ON the meat. Chicken wings are tiny bites anyway. So make that bite count, with tons of flavor. But you’d better make extra because these will be the most popular item at the party.
Cajun Spice Rub is the perfect, I am serious, perfect combination of flavors. These Cajun wings are super easy to prepare, and juicy-moist. If chicken wings can be healthy, these are right up there. With the skin trimmed off as much as possible, healthy fresh herbs and spices. Also, baked rather than fried (okay, baked in butter!), they have become one of our favorite appetizers and crowd pleasing WOW chicken wing recipes.
I promise these will satisfy every appetite from the hearty big guys, dainty eaters (I don’t know any of those), and every kid at the table.
No dipping sauce needed. They steal the show. Trust me.
Cajun Spice Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings separated and trimmed of excess skin/fat
- ½ cup butter 1 stick
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun Spice Rub recipe below
- Juice from one lemon
- Cajun Spice Rub
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1¼ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1¼ teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional or adjust to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Trim wings of excess skin (if desired) and allow to come to room temperature (This is important, or else the sauce will be more difficult to spread on them). Pat the chicken wings dry.
- Melt the butter in a small pot or in the microwave and whisk in the tablespoon of Cajun Spice and lemon juice. Let cool enough to feel lukewarm. Mix it again and toss the chicken wings with half the sauce. Arrange in single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment or Silpat and bake for 25 minutes.
- Take the wings out of the oven and switch oven to broil. Set your oven rack about 6 inches under the broiler and broil 3-4 minutes, watching until nicely browned.
- To serve, toss in the remaining sauce (the butter will have set slightly, but will melt nicely onto your hot wings as you toss them). Plate the wings and dust with more Cajun Spice Mix as desired.