I used to shy away from foods spiced “Cajun”. I once bought a pre-packaged Cajun spice mix and it was very smokey, as in bottled liquid smoke-smokey. And overly salty. From then on, that is what I thought was classic Cajun. Years later, and fresh out of my break-up with packaged and processed foods, I decided to give it a go with spice mixes from scratch. This is an incredible combination! I use it on my Cajun Spiced Chicken Wings recipe. Try this Cajun Spice rub recipe on fish tacos, ribs, mixed in burgers, roasted vegetables, even hash browns.
The Cajun spice mix comes together using common spices from your pantry, so make a bunch to always have on hand. Mildly hot, you can easily adjust the heat by changing the amount of crushed red pepper flakes. Men, women AND children in the house will be singing your praises! The uses find for this Bayou beauty are endless.
Cajun Spice Mix and Rub
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional or adjust to taste
- Stir all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
Adapted from Allrecipes