A fresh and nutritious dish, Cauliflower with Roasted Red Pepper is sautee’d cauliflower with red bell pepper puree’, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes.
I first was attracted to this recipe because The Food Network calls it “The Best Cauliflower EVER”. I might take issue with that because I really like cauliflower all ways and have featured several tasty cauliflower recipes here at Good Dinner Mom. My recipe for Cauliflower Buffalo Bites is hard to beat and is one of my most popular recipes. If you like creaminess with your cauliflower, Cauliflower Gratin is another good one. BUT, Cauliflower with Roasted Red Pepper is definitely a keeper, and with a few minor options I’ve offered for gluten-free enthusiasts and adjustments for vegan cooking, I think you’re going to love this one too.
Start with some fresh cauliflower, cut into florets. This will saute’ to create a nice brown color and just-right texture.
A red pepper is first roasted in the oven (or buy jarred roasted red peppers), then tossed with some garlic and olive oil to combine these fabulous flavors.
After about 10 to 12 minutes, the cauliflower is nice and toasty. Don’t overcook it, you want to retain some of the crispness here.
After the red peppers and garlic have sautéed together, run them in the food processor or blender along with a couple of tablespoons of soft tofu or half and half, depending on what you have. Both taste fabulous.
After the cauliflower is tossed with the red pepper puree, I squeeze a fresh lime over the top and add extra red pepper flakes. This is perfect right here, and perfectly gluten-free. If you want a bit more umph, toss in a couple of tablespoons of breadcrumbs after adding the lime juice. Either way this is a delicious and pretty side dish for any meal. Hearty enough for a meatless main dish as well. Though I can’t give this the “best cauliflower ever” title, it is right up there, especially with the healthy benefits of the red pepper and garlic added in. Enjoy this beauty soon… maybe it will be YOUR best ever.
Cauliflower with Roasted Red Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ large head or 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons soft, silken tofu
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, plus additional for garnish
- Juice from one lime
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, Optional
- Heat 3 Tablespoons the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cauliflower florets and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the cauliflower begins to brown and soften, about 12 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, heat the remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add 3 chopped cloves garlic and sauté until softened, 1 minute.
- Add the roasted red pepper and sauté for another few minutes, until heated through.
- Transfer to a food processor, blender or mini-chopper and blend. Add 2 Tablespoons tofu and some salt and pepper and puree until smooth.
- Add the puree and ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes to the cauliflower and cook for 1 minute.
- Squeeze one lime over the top of the cauliflower and sprinkle with additional red pepper flakes, if desired.
- The cauliflower is ready to serve at this point.
- Before serving- Stir in the breadcrumbs and cook another minute, then serve.
- This dish is best served right away. I have made it ahead and re-heated before serving, but the fresh, crisp from the pan flavor is preferred.
Recipe adapted from The Food Network.